In follow up to a recent post regarding the painting the Station of the Cross: The Crucifixion, a local painting conservator, Susan Brown and staff from display Art Installation Services worked with Mission staff yesterday, May 30 to remove the reproduction painting from the Chapel with approximately 50 volunteers, Docents, staff and supporters present. The reproduction painting was found to be attached to the original painting with nails which were quickly but carefully removed. After only 2 hours the top painting was lowered from the wall to reveal the original, year 1800 work. Though it is fragile and in need of conservation, the painting is in stable condition and far surpassed all expectations. The painting conservator was able to examine the work and will soon be submitting proposals for its treatment.
David Aeppli, owner of display Art Installation Services and painting conservator Susan Brown, carefully remove the first nail from the painting.
Mission Executive Director Mechelle Lawrence-Adams and Preservation Project Manager Sam U’Ren observe as the final nail is removed.
The reproduction painting being lifted from the wall.
The original painting is currently on view in the Serra Chapel. The reproduction painting was temporarily removed to a climate controlled and secure storage area. It will be cleaned and documented and eventually staff hopes to exhibit it as well, as it is also part of Mission history.
Mission and display Art Installation Services staff moving the reproduction painting to a secure storage area for examination and treatment.
The original 1800 painting, now on display in Serra Chapel.
Now, in the next step, the Preservation Foundation and Mission team hope to raise the funds needed to repair the historic painting. Mission staff strive to keep the public informed of the progress.
Watch unveiling on YouTube